Those who are distant from God have erred mainly because God can only be known by inferring the hidden from the revealed.
So, since they see from the revealed that the operation of the world follows the arrangement of the constellations, they fall into errors, each one into his own mistake.
Some think that everything runs according to natural law, that the world operates according to its own rules, while others think that one must serve the intermediary, as was the error regarding the Golden Calf. They wanted the calf to be an intermediary between themselves and God…
Many fall into such mistakes, making the immediate cause into an intermediary between themselves and God.
That is, they believe in God, but also believe in intermediary means and claim that these are necessary…
They believe for instance, that the means of sustenance is an occupation, but say that the means of occupation is the main thing, as if without this means of occupation, God is unable to provide them with sustenance.
Or regarding the means of healing, which is medicine, they make that the main thing, as if without those medicines, God can’t heal.
But this is not so, because God is the Cause of all causes and Means of all means, and He doesn’t need any means!
So our involvement in these means must be only with faith in God, and we must not make the means the main thing.
And when a Tzaddik overrides with his prayer what the constellational arrangement dictates, then from the revealed to the hidden, it becomes known that there is a God who hears the prayer of the Tzaddik, overturning the constellations and changing nature.
All this will take place in the future, as our sages said (Pesachim 68a): ‘In the future, Tzaddikim will resurrect the dead,’ and other wonders."
- People’s misguided belief in ‘the ‘laws of nature’ is the main way they come away from Hashem
- People also make the mistake of thinking that the ONLY way for God to give them parnassa is if they work, or that the ONLY way they can be healed from their illnesses is by taking medicine. Really, God can sustain a person, and heal a person, in a million different ways.
- When we work, or when we take medicines, we have to bear in mind that God is the only ‘cause’ actually healing us. If we ascribe any power to the medicines, or to working, or the ‘laws of nature’ that is disconnected from Hashem, we’re making the same mistake the people who worshipped the Golden Calf (i.e. the Erev Rav) made.
- The Tzaddikim can change nature with their prayers.
- ‘Nature’ could mean Nibiru, all the stuff going on with planet earth’s environment and interaction with the celestial spheres, but also other things that seem to be governed by the ‘laws of nature’, like making a living, illness and Donald Trump.
- The Tzaddikim can literally resurrect the dead with their prayers - and when Moshiach comes, in the future, we’ll start to see the power of the tzaddikim’s prayers to affect the world in a much more obvious way.