In common with the Central meridian, Governing meridian is also directly plugged-in to our central nervous system, which means that it deals with global affects in the body and soul, as opposed to a specific organ or system.
The meridian metaphors for the Central meridian are:
- (negatively) Lacking courage to move forward in life, or lacking 'backbone', in someway
- (positively) Having a sense of strength and ability; being able to 'stand tall'
When there is sufficient, good energy in the Governing meridian, a person will have a good posture (because remember, the physical always mirrors the spiritual) and they will literally stand up straight, and hold their heads high.
When the energy is governing is disturbed or weak, poor posture is an immediate, physical clue, but a person could also feel 'spineless' or 'clueless' emotionally, lacking the energy and courage they need to move forward in their life, in whichever way that needs to happen.
Another emotional sign that Governing is out could be when a person feels overburdened, and / or stuck in reverse.
Peak time for the meridian: As Governing meridian is a 'global' meridian affecting the whole person, it's peak time is generally in the day, particularly around noon.
Indications that the flow in the Governing meridian might be out of balance:
- Slumped posture
- Issues with the pineal gland (light / darkness)
- Feeling overburdened
- Feeling stuck
- Feeling spineless, or lacking in courage to change something or move forward
Simple ways to balance it at home:
- Trace the meridian with your hand: use the flat of your hand to trace up the pathway of the meridian. Doing this every day automatically strengthens the meridian, and encourage the energy to flow properly through it.
- Massage the neurolymphatic points for the Governing meridian to release blocked energy, emotions and toxins. These are located between the tops of your two shoulder blades, an inch either side of the spine; or between your 2nd and 3rd ribs (working from the top down), around 3 inches to either side of your breastbone (that's the bone that goes down the middle of your ribcage.)
- Do the 'hook-up' exercise: Put one finger in your belly button, one finger at the point between your eyebrows, and gently push in and up. Hold this for 20 seconds, or until you sigh.
(Warning: this might hurt! If it's tender, that's just a sign that the energy is blocked. If you massage these points regularly, for 10 seconds at a go, the tenderness should start to alleviate, as the energy starts to move and the blockages break up.)
Weird factoid about the Governing meridian:
The energy of the Governing and Central meridians connect at the back of the throat. When everything is running the way it should, this creates an energetic 'force field' of self-confidence and a 'can-do' attitude.
One of the fastest and easiest ways to switch on this positive force field is to….suck your thumb!
No kidding. Even just for a few seconds.
(Btw, pacifiers don't have the same energetic effect as a human thumb in the mouth).
So all those parents who let their kids suck their thumbs well into their teens, take heart: I know it's costing you a fortune in dental work, but just think of what you've saved in psychoanalysis ☺